Monday, August 17, 2009

Day 1

So I've signed up for my second half marathon in December. It's the St. Jude's in Memphis and I'm doing it with a couple of girlfriends. Cara (from work) and I are rooming together and if I can convince Laura (from church) to do it she'll join us too.

Cara and I have been working out together (spinning and classes at the gym) on and off for a few months. She has started her official half marathon training about 5 weeks ago while I've been sitting on my butt. My two surgeries (one in May and one in July) have held me back a lot.

I'm counting today as Day 1 of my training and attempt to get into shape. While I haven't been released by my doctor to run I'm at least going to get in the habit of working out. So today I met Cara at the Y and we hit the treadmills. She did her running/walking and I just walked. I did 50 minutes of lots of hills. I'm feeling good afterwards and looking forward to my next workout. I'm hopeful that my surgeon will release me on Monday at my next follow up to run....HOWEVER, I will not push it. I don't want to end up having surgery again.

By the way, I completed my first one in February (Mercedes Half) but I was injured and in NO shape to do it. It took me just over 3 hours so basically my goal is to do the St. Jude's in less than 3. I know I can do it. And I've got 15 weeks to get ready.

My plan is to keep track of my workouts and complaints and successes on this blog. I'm not telling many people about it (maybe just a handful so they can keep me in check) but it's more for me - to have a place to journal about it and follow through with my (now) written down goal.

So here's to a consistent schedule and losing weight and getting ready for a half marathon.

Cheers. Whatever.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so not motivated to do this with you. But I'm thinking about it. Keep writing and hopefully I will become inspired!

    ReplyDelete